Jennifer Gaylor BSN, RN
The School Nurse's Role
The scope of the professional school nurse’s practice includes many roles:
- Clinician – caring for and managing ill or injured students.
- Consultant – serving as health resource person to parents, students and staff. Also serving as a mentor to new nurses in the district.
- Researcher – continually gathering and analyzing data to look for trends in an effort to improve health care for students and staff.
- Teacher – teaching in many formal and informal venues on a variety of health related topics.
School Nurse responsibilities:
- Managing the clinic – caring for ill or injured students and staff.
- Maintaining accurate records – databases of clinic visits for the year, immunization and health concerns database. Preparing state reports at the end of the year.
- Performing mandated screenings – vision, hearing, scoliosis, and acanthosis nigricans.
- Making certain that all students are up to date on immunizations.
- Gathering information, reviewing and managing health concerns – data gathered from the collection of Student Health Information Forms.
- Teaching in the classroom on a variety of health related topics – nutrition, dental, hand washing, growth and development and HIV, first aid, and school safety.
- Finding medical, dental, vision and mental health resources for families.
- Monitoring communicable diseases. Including weekly reports to the Dallas County Health Department.
- Being the case manager for special needs students or students with a wide variety of acute or chronic health conditions including students with cancer, diabetes, asthma, seizure disorders, transplants and many others.
- Administering medications.
- Monitoring safety issues in the building.
- Reporting and following up on possible child abuse.
- Liaison to the community, staff, and parents regarding health issues.
1300 Cypress Drive
Richardson, TX 75080
Clicking on links embedded in this website may cause you to leave a web page maintained by Richardson ISD (RISD). RISD is not responsible for the content, privacy policies or accessibility of non-district sites.