Welcome to the Counselor's Corner!What Does a Counselor Do, Anyway?
The main purpose of having a school counselor in the school building is to help ALL students feel safe and good about themselves so they can do their best academically and learn as much as they can while at school. My job is to help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development, and career development.
Of course, I have many other jobs and wear many other “hats” during the school year. The list below will help you understand what I do at Bowie.
WHAT DO I DO?
- Teach guidance lessons to all students
- Counsel individual students with identified needs
- Guide students in making educational and career decisions (for example: sixth-to-seventh grade registration)
- Consult parents and teachers about given needs of their students
- Serve on ARD/CSI Committee
- REACH nominations
- Orient new students
- Oversee Peer Mediation to help prevent school violence and promote conflict resolution
- Help supervise STAAR testing
- Serve as 504 Coordinator for the school
- Help coordinate Red Ribbon Week and teach drug prevention
The counseling program is based in part on an annual needs assessment. The counselor surveys the faculty for input on the areas of most concern for teachers and students. In additional to teaching guidance lessons to Bowie students throughout the school year, the counselor also works on the following programs.
Responsive Services Individual Planning System Support
Lunch Bunch groups on the topics of: divorce, anger management, school success, self-esteem, stress management, loss/grief
Conduct Needs Assessment to determine guidance needs
Confer with teachers and follow-up to assist in student success
Peer Mediation Coordinator
Courtesy Patrol Coordinator
Pre-Registration for Junior High
Sixth-to-Seventh Grade Transition
Assist with Kindergarten Round-Up
Design behavior plans to help students be and feel successful; follow-up with teacher and students
Encourage AVID participation for sixth grade students
-Testing Security Integrity
Instructional Leadership Team
Campus Learning Communities Activities
Maintain communication with parents and teachers, including newsletters, emails, phone calls, etc.
Red Ribbon Week Coordinator