The RISD School Board Policy states that a dress code is established to teach grooming and hygiene, instill discipline,
avoid safety hazards, and teach respect for authority. Students at Aikin Elementary are encouraged to take pride in their
personal appearance. Cleanliness, neatness, modesty, safety, and effect on the learning environment are the criteria
which should dictate choice of school dress and grooming. Please be aware of the following dress code standards which
are in place for all students:
● All skirts, shorts, and dresses must be at least fingertip length. This includes girls' athletic shorts.
P 27 of 43
● Shorts are to be properly hemmed or cuffed. Cut-off jeans and boxer shorts are not permitted.
● Pants, trousers, shorts, and similar clothing must be properly fitted and worn at the waist. Clothing should not be
excessively large, worn, or longer than the heel. Tight-fitting shorts or pants.
● Pants/shorts with holes, tears, frayed edges or so long they drag the ground are not permitted.
● Shirts longer than fingertip length must be tucked in.
● Midriff tops, spaghetti straps, or see-through blouses will not be worn.
● No tank tops or undergarments should be visible.
● Hats, caps, or other types of headwear may not be worn inside the building.
● Student's may not wear hair colors that are not natural or extreme styles (e.g. Mohawks, dreadlocks).
● Boys may not wear sleeveless shirts.
● Athletic shoes are expected for P.E. days and are also the most appropriate shoe for every school day. Backless
shoes and Crocs are not permitted for safety reasons.
● Clothing shall not be worn that promotes gangs or violence, nor shall it be lewd, offensive, or vulgar.
● Clothing items with inappropriate statements or pictures are not allowed. This includes anything pertaining to
alcoholic beverages, smoking, weapons, and sexual or drug related references.
● No headphones/radios, or pagers are allowed on school property.
● Any type of clothing, jewelry or non-prescriptive eyewear that might disrupt the learning environment will not be
● Student's should be sent to school in the appropriate seasonal outerwear.
Fridays will be SPIRIT DAYS - Students are encouraged to wear AIkin spirit shirts.
Mondays will be college and career days, Students are encouraged to wear college/career shirts.
Spirit shirts are available through PTA.
If a administrator or teacher feels that a student’s dress is inappropriate according to the dress code, the parent will be
contacted and asked to bring a change of clothes. In addition, if a student is dressed immodestly, they may not be allowed
to enter class until they are appropriately attired.